Friday, February 17, 2012

Day 35 – Murphey’s law (for the rainforest):

Every time I wash clothes the skies darken and it starts to rain – it can be completely sunny and while the clothes r in the washer, just like that it changes. Just to explain, we don't have a dryer and since we are in the rainforest it takes about 5 days for clothes to dry. And every time I close my eyes during the day, this big rooster wanders over to our window and starts cackling. It could not be more obnoxious or annoying. The thought of executing them for food no longer seems cruel, but rather, a relief.

Just a house I liked this morning that we
walked past-it has tons of flowers in pots
We went in service this morning in Santa Rosa. Neither of my studies could study so Veronica & I did some door to door. We ended up talking with a woman named Isabel who said she doesn’t usually talk to the witnesses. We were there at least ½ hour and I was able to share several scriptures with her. She is Catholic and very talkative but at the end of the conversation she readily accepted the mags on Armageddon and gave me a papaya. Veronica said afterward that 2 visits ago she wouldn’t converse and last time she very reluctantly accepted a tract. You never know; hopefully we left the door open for the next visit.



Guyaba (we call Guava in States) that a little brother
picked in service for me to try-very different than the paste
We came home for lunch and did our Bible reading outside & Erik had to finish his part for the meeting. So as Erik started the book study, it started to rain harder and harder until you could not hear him or anyone commenting (metal roof). For pretty much the entire study it was pouring so hard that even with the microphones it was a struggle to hear.  I must admit I started thinking during the mtg how flooded the house was gonna be and that I had left our service backpacks on the floor of our room (where it normally floods). I had to convince myself there was nothing I could do and stop obsessing (telling Leah to stop obsessing is like telling me to stop eating. By the way, if you haven't noticed we both write portions of the blog. Sorry, we go back and forth a lot). I was the householder for Veronica’s study, America, who was a bit nervous, but did very well especially considering she was working from an outline.  So Shawn made the announcement that there were no congregation arrangements for service Sat, Sun, Mon or Tues because of Carnival. It’s funny; almost like we won’t go out preaching bc we’ll be busy celebrating.  It’s different than like Christmas & Thanksgiving in the States where people take advantage of a day off to go in service. Here I guess you literally can’t go out because people will drench you with water or worse…like paint or urine. Great!-U talk about a senseless holiday.  If we actually try to go do some studies tomorrow like we r planning we may have some good pics – we’ll see.

Deliciousness!
On the way home Erik said maybe it didn’t rain at the house. I thought, “Yeah right, we live 5 minutes from the hall”. Jim & Robin were also convinced it had poured (in the house) and they stopped to buy new brooms on the way home from meeting. But to everyone’s surprise the house was dry. So instead of having to mop we made a little after meeting “snack” of scrambled eggs with onions, peppers & garlic and patacones (tostones). Oh, and I made some more of that tea.
We snuggled in at 10:30 and watched a movie on the laptop and waited for morning coffee (and green tea).

No comments:

Post a Comment