Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day 43 – “Why did you have to go looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in the [house] of empanadas?”

Erik didn’t hear a thing but I slept really bad last night (no, not because of the chanchos). This time it was the cows. They were in the field behind our house and they whined/cried on and off all night.  Someone said they do that when they are full of milk and need to be milked. I don’t know the reason but it made sleeping difficult.  We slept in til 8:30 - normally we are up by 7am, we meet for service at 8:30 every day including Saturday and Sunday.  But today we don’t go out until 2pm and then stay out til the evening. We got to Skype with the Heiberger family, which was a nice treat. 
I don't think we've posted a pic of this yet, but everyone here
walks around with machete (it's hard to see in his hand).

View of the river and mountains working territory in town


I didn’t find my two studies, so we ended up working a lot of door-to-door in Cumbaratza.
 I worked with Robin and Rosa (an older sister who recently got surgery on her eyes). Robin did good with her presentation and then we just finish for her.  It’s a somewhat tough territory because it gets preached pretty throroughly every week.
I'm not saying anything about the territory, we just happened
upon him while we were working in town.
The people definitely know who we are.  But many have responded because they have several very progressive studies here in town that attend meetings regularly.  For instance, last night of the 40 people there, 10 were studies. That's a pretty good percentage.
Erik went with Adrian, one of the young brothers and they had some good calls working the main street. I didn’t see him for hours and when I asked one of the brothers he pointed me to the corner on main street where the woman sells empanadas de verde (made with green plantains and filled with chicken and veggies). The homemade aji she does with lime juice, onions, cilantro and hot peppers is the best! I should have known where to find him (Luke 2:49). I can’t say that I blame him; they are delicious and where else can you get dinner for two for $2.75 (he had 3, I had 2 and he had a piece of fried dough with sugar )?

View as we were walking home. The sun was setting and hitting
the water and the mountains.
We walked home from Cumbaratza to try a return visit near the house. The mom, Erlinda, wasn’t home but her daughter, Nancy, was. Erik & Adrian had a really nice conversation with her while I kept the kids busy reading stories out of their Bible Stories and Great Teacher books.

We had homemade brownies with Kaufe (that’s not Spanish for coffee, this is a decaf concoction of natural ingredients that tastes somewhat like coffee). I kind of like it, this was Erik’s first time.


1 comment:

  1. Nice caption on the goat picture, thank you for clarifying =) Ha

    ReplyDelete